Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Goals

I really appreciated your advice and encouragement on my Discipline post. It makes me happy to know that even you can be lazy or unskilled or behind in your housekeeping. If you live nearby, you can also probably expect a dinner invitation in the coming months.

With the comfort of company in my imperfection and with the motivation of dinner guests in mind, I've decided to set some goals to develop good housekeeping habits. When you see the simplicity of my goals, you may then be able to imagine what my house usually looks like. I got the idea to set these goals from this blog. It has some interesting tips and advice. The most recent post right now seems a little bit like feel-good inspirational crap to me, but I love the caption underneath the picture: "Get all ninja on your actions." The/A (?) writer on this site suggested developing particular habits by choosing one, posting this goal visibly, and after conquering it for two weeks, move on to the next. I have so many bad housekeeping habits that I felt like I wouldn't make a lot of progress. So, I modified it into my own system. I have one goal for each room, plus a personal goal and a goal for the whole house. They say if you write down your goals, you will more likely achieve them. They also say that if you share your goals with other people, you will be more likely to achieve them. So, here they are, digitally written and shared with you.

Whole House Goal: Paint each room in the house (1 down, 4 to go) and unpack everything.
Motivator: I can get a dog when this is done.

Kitchen Goal: Only take on a non-essential cooking task if there is time to clean up afterward. Always clean up after dinner. If there is not time right after dinner, then dishes must be done before I go to bed. (Ideally, clean these up right away anyway and avoid a cranky, tired husband when I get home.)

Living Room and Office Goal: Dishes must be removed from these rooms and washed immediately.

Bathroom Goal: Buy another spray bottle for my vinegar cleaner to store in the bathroom. Store rags in the bathroom. Store plastic grocery bags here to use as garbage can liners. Touch up the bathroom approximately every other day.

Bedroom Goal: When I change clothes, they must immediately be hung up or folded and put away for rewearing or put into the hamper. "Deciding later" is not allowed.

Personal Goal: Wake up at 5:30 every day.
Motivator: I'm thinking of telling myself I can't do any recreational reading if I sleep in past a certain time, but I'm not sure how effective that will be. Because I can waste a lot of time on things I don't enjoy as well.

Hopefully, I will get these posted and accomplished soon. Then, when you come over for dinner, I won't look as frazzled!

2 comments:

arstreeter said...

Thanks for the link!

You know, you are really good at writing. I think if you were to add some photos and a maybe a few more external links (and cross-reference links to your other entries), you could expand your subscriber base. Maybe that is not a goal you have, but if it is, consider this encouragement!

-A

Kelsey said...

Thanks, A. I really enjoy writing, and in my dream life it's my profession. So, that's about the nicest thing you could have said to me.